The Journey of a Christian

journey2“He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 1:6).

Do you sometimes feel as though you are not making any progress in your spiritual life?  The life of a Christian is a journey.  We have a supernatural, proficient guide and map in the Spirit-inspired Scriptures, but we face distinct temptations and trials.  We know we have been saved by faith in Christ and have heaven as our sure destination, but the intervening pilgrimage is unique.  We need God’s help.

I do not know where you are on your personal journey.  Perhaps you are exhausted and spent.  Maybe you have recently experienced significant growth, or you may have settled on a comfortable plateau because of an uncertain future.  But I do know this: God wants you and I to enjoy and complete the journey.  He has pledged Himself to finish the good work He began in us at salvation and will keep us strong until the end.

If you are feeling discouraged, remember God won’t give up on you.  If you are feeling incomplete, unfinished, or distressed by your shortcomings, remember God’s promise and provision.  Don’t let your present condition rob you of the joy of knowing Christ or keep you from growing closer to Him.  God will most certainly continue on to completion the good work He began in you!

Read more here: Back to the Basics: A Guide for Christian Living.

About these ads

About Pastor Joe Quatrone, Jr.

Pastor Joe has been serving in Christian ministry for 15 years. He desires to nurture and disciple believers, helping them experience a deeper level of commitment and faith in the Lord. He is the author of "Back to the Basics: A Guide for Christian Living." Through a commitment to servant leadership, he proclaims relevant Bible truth, equips the saints for effective ministry, and builds up the body of Christ. Married eleven years, Pastor Joe and his wife live in New Jersey and have two children.
This entry was posted in Practical Christianity and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to The Journey of a Christian

1. Yoshiko says:

Joe, thank you for your encouragements.

2. Rita Palmer says:

If only we could know God’s plan for us. I need a loud voice saying to me, “Rita, this is my plan, now go get it done!!” LOL, I will need to see other people’s comments on here, because I have no idea, what, where, or how I will be called or what for. It is an interesting subject, and I wonder how people were told what to do and which path to follow.
    I do not have a car, and not very much money, so I continue to wait on the Lord.

• Joe Quatrone, Jr. says:

It would be nice if God spoke to us in a loudspeaker. Although, discovering His will is actually not as difficult as we may think. I encourage you to read my post “Will of God” – http://joequatronejr.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/will-of-god
      Hope this helps!

• Rita Palmer says:

Ok, I will read your post. I was assuming that the verse in Philippians meant that God would want us to minister in some way for him. This is
        why I looked it up and found out what it means exactly. Here is what
        I found:
        1:1-7 The highest honour of the most eminent ministers is, to be servants of Christ. And those who are not really saints on earth, never will be saints in heaven. Out of Christ, the best saints are sinners, and unable to stand before God. There is no peace without grace. Inward peace springs from a sense of Divine favour. And there is no grace and peace but from God our Father, the fountain and origin of all blessings. At Philippi the apostle was evil entreated, and saw little fruit of his labour; yet he remembers Philippi with joy. We must thank our God for the graces and comforts, gifts and usefulness of others, as we receive the benefit, and God receives the glory. The work of grace will never be perfected till the day of Jesus Christ, the day of his appearance. But we may always be confident God will perform his good work, in every soul wherein he has really begun it by regeneration; though we must not trust in outward appearances, nor in any thing but a new creation to holiness. People are dear to their ministers, when they receive benefit by their ministry. Fellow-sufferers in the cause of God should be dear one to another.

Joe, now I know that God has begun a work in us, and with grace will keep His Saints His until the end. We are assured of our faith in Him until we die and are taken to Heaven.

3. Rita Palmer says:

Oh, I forgot to tell you Joe, I read your post. You write things so clearly, anyone can understand, and that is the purpose, right? The post cleared up my muddled mind nicely. Thank you again!!

4. Pingback: The name of the Lord | daily meditation

5. Pingback: Is Faith Enough? | Kens Cushion

6. jannatwrites says:

This is such an encouraging/comforting post – thank you for that. I’ve felt like I’ve been on the same plateau for about a year now. I get impatient and frustrated because I feel like I should “know” what my purpose is but I haven’t had a clear sign. Then I wonder if there were signs and clues but I overlooked them. Perhaps this is just another lesson in patience and I will have to wait my turn for direction :)

7. Pingback: Trusting God | Quality of Life Ministries

8. amen Joe! your words remind me of when I was in the service and running….when I just couldn’t seem to make it another step…someone always came along to encourage me and help me make it to the end! God bless!

9. Correna says:

Very wise words. I had taken a break from my computer and as I did I contemplated many things about my spiritual journey and realized that God IS always with me and has been through all the difficult parts of my life, and has also been a huge part of the good things too. I am very thankful for Gods love and His encouragement through people I have recently met, through blogging and in person!. Thank you for yours as well through these posts. I didn’t see a question this time but I have come to believe that as you said “God wants you and me to enjoy and complete the journey. He has pledged Himself to finish the good work He began in us at salvation and will keep us strong until the end.” Since God never gives up on me, I will strive to never give up on looking to Him for my life. Thanks for all your words. Have a great day.

10. ritap24 says:

God has promised His Children, many things. Jeremiah 29: 11-12 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” and John 14:13 “And whatever ye shall ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.”

11. Pingback: Is Life Worthwhile when everything seems to go wrong? « Debra's ~ Daily ~ Dialogue '2'

12. Awesome! Keep the good work up!

13. Pingback: The Perfecter of Our Faith: Into Which Our Faith Depends From Start to Finish. | Bear Veracity

14. Pingback: Work Out Work In » KEVIN NUNEZ

15. Freedomborn says:

Hi Pastor Joe, I finely made it here, I was getting prepared to visit but was delayed when you wrote the Post about waiting on the Lord and not trying to push our own agenda or our own point, which is very True, we are To stand up for God’s Truth not mans own understanding, it is also why God tells us we need to ask for what we were not born with, His wisdom, which is a gift that is given when asked for but we must not doubt that we have received it and then through the empowering of The Holy Spirit, Jesus our only Teacher , teaches us all things needed and all things good and yes sometimes we wait for His timing, I have been waiting for 5 years for His promise in my life to be forfilled 1Corinthians2 ( 9-16 )
    What does it mean to believe in Jesus Christ, as you can see below it is very clear , we show that we do and having received the free gift of Salvation we walk as He walked without sin. Yes God knows those who are His children even before we are conceived, the rest He sees from a distance, not close up and personal like it is with us but it is not God’s will that anyone perishes meaning eternally separated from Him it’s their choice’
    1 John 3:9 No one who is Born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been Born of God.
    John 8:34-36 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Romans 6:6- 7 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Romans 6:22-23 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 John 4:17-19 Herein is our Love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in Love; but perfect Love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in Love. We Love Him, because He first Loved us.

Colossians 3:1-17 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

1 John 5:18-20 We know that no one who is Born of God sins; but He who was Born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one. And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.
    Romans 8: 8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    God does indeed finish what He started but it is always our choice, He does not go against our free will.

Take Care Pastor Joe. Christian Love from both of us – Anne

16. Rita Palmer says:

It can be very frustrating to desire to know God’s will for our life. I always try to remember that God wants what is good for us, and the Holy Spirit lives in us. But when God decides what changes our life should take on, this then is His will done for the glory of God.
    If we are living for God and His glory and when we decide to do something that does not glorify God, then, we follow our own desires. Example: I ask for God to help me lose weight. This is not done for the glory of God. It is done for the glory of myself, even if it helps me stay healthy. God’s will in the Bible was done for His glory. If I ask God to help me find a house, and God decides this will glorify Him, because by giving me a home, I will be in a better position to help others, work for the glory of God, then He make it happen.We must trust our own decisons, and also the trust the Holy Spirit to guide us in our lives. Praying for those things that make manifest the will of God, and then letting God decide in His time, instead of ours, shows Him that we love, trust and believe in Him..

• Rita Palmer says:

Since this is a confusing subject, I did some more research on this. Here is what I found. Yes, God’s will be done, in our lives, but God loves His Children and will do good things for them. The first and most important prayers in the life of a Christian are: “Make me love You above all else” and “Make me want what You want” because when we truly desire God and long to see the Kingdom of God realized in our lives and in the lives of others, when we are passionate to see His will and His work in this world, and we ask for the things that bring Him glory and increase our closeness to Him,…..
      He is eager and willing to give us anything we ask for. Sometimes the things that glorify God are pleasant things, like a marriage or a child. Sometimes they are difficult things, like a failure that humbles us or a physical weakness that makes us dependent upon Him. But we must never doubt that when we pray for what is in His will, we will receive it, and that what we receive from Him will always be that which is best.

17. Pingback: Don’t Fence Me In « Strangers and Aliens

18. ioan17 says:

Reposted on http://ioan17.wordpress.com
    Thanks ! I like very much !

19. Pingback: CHRISTIAN LIFE IS A JOURNEY « Ioan17 – John 17

20. Pingback: Wooden Indian or Wooden Christian? « HodgePodge

21. Pingback: Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young | Prayer Works Cafe

22. Pingback: The name of the Lord « The Road

23. Yes, keep preaching the AUTHOR and PERFECTER of our faith.
    I would appreciate your pastoral wisdom on this, my experience of suffering:

• I apologize for not responding sooner! I just realized I missed your comment. I agree with your article. Much (not all) of our suffering is caused by ourselves. The man who drank for so many years and develops cirrhosis of the liver knows that his disease has a direct link to his drinking. He knows, even though he may deny the truth, that as a result of his drinking, he is experiencing the negative effect of his choice to indulge in liquor. The woman who gave into temptation and has an affair with a coworker knows that her ruined marriage is the consequence of her choice to sow to her sinful nature. There are many illustrations to explain this principle, but perhaps the most compelling comes from the Cross itself. Jesus gave us an example that cannot be argued or debated. As He hung there, dying for you and me, He was in the process of teaching us priceless truths for our lives today. Remember the criminal who hung on the cross next to Jesus? (Luke 23:40-43). He was completely forgiven, yet moments later, he died a painful death. The criminal was forgiven; yet he suffered the full extent of the consequences of his sin. This act of forgiveness stands as a testimony of God’s grace, while the stark reality of sowing and reaping is portrayed for all of us to behold.

24. Thanks for liking my blog Joe! You have some great writings yourself. Grace and peace.

Neal

25. tellthetruth1 says:

I’m finding the journey to be more and more difficult as time goes by, which is why Christ told us to count the cost. The thought that even though I’ve travelled this hard road, with many, many mistakes, and yet He hasn’t given up on me, no matter my responses to some very heavy situations, expresses some of the love He has for me. For all of us who are struggling, remember this: Christ began the good work in us. Therefore, He will complete it. I love Him so much for that.

This is a beautiful blog. Thank you for your visit to mine, Pastor.