You Don’t Have to Worry: Part 1 (Philippians 4:1–9)

Phil 4.6If anybody had an excuse for worrying, it was the Apostle Paul. His beloved Christian friends at Philippi were disagreeing with one another and he was not there to help them. We have no idea what Euodia and Syntyche were disputing about, but whatever it was, it was bringing division into the church. Along with the potential division at Philippi, Paul had to face division among the believers at Rome (Phil. 1:14–17). Added to these burdens was the possibility of his own death! Yes, Paul had a good excuse to worry—but he did not! Instead, he took time to explain to us the secret of victory over worry.

What is worry? The Greek word translated “anxious” in 4:6 means “to be pulled in different directions.” Our hopes pull us in one direction; our fears pull us in the opposite direction; and we are pulled apart! The Old English root from which we get our word “worry” means “to strangle.” If you have ever really worried, you know how it does strangle a person! In fact, worry has definite physical consequences: headaches, neck pains, ulcers, even back pains. Worry affects our thinking, our digestion, and even our coordination.

From the spiritual point of view, worry is wrong thinking (the mind) and wrong feeling (the heart) about circumstances, people, and things. Worry is the greatest thief of joy. It is not enough for us, however, to tell ourselves to “quit worrying” because that will never capture the thief. Worry is an “inside job” and it takes more than good intentions to get the victory. The antidote to worry is the secure mind. When we have the secure mind, the peace of God guards us (4:7) and the God of peace guides us (4:9). With that kind of protection—why worry? If we are to conquer worry and experience the secure mind, we must meet the conditions God has laid down.

Right Praying (4:6–7)

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Paul does not write, “Pray about it!” He is too wise to do that. He uses three different words to describe “right praying”: prayer, supplication, and thanksgiving. “Right praying” involves all three. The word prayer is the general word for making requests known to the Lord. It carries the idea of adoration, devotion, and worship. Whenever we find ourselves worrying, our first action ought to be to get alone with God and worship Him. Adoration is what is needed. We must see the greatness and majesty of God! We must realize He is big enough to solve our problems. Too often, we rush into His presence and hastily tell Him our needs, when we ought to approach His throne calmly and in deepest reverence. The first step in “right praying” is adoration.

The second is supplication, an earnest sharing of our needs and problems. There is no place for halfhearted, insincere prayer! We know we are not heard for our “meaningless repetition” (Matt. 6:7–8), but we still realize our Father wants us to be earnest in our asking (Matt. 7:1–11). This is the way Jesus prayed in the Garden (Heb. 5:7) and while His closest disciples were sleeping, He was sweating great drops of blood! Supplication is not a matter of carnal energy, but of spiritual intensity (Rom. 15:30; Col. 4:12).

After adoration and supplication comes appreciation, giving thanks to God (Eph. 5:20; Col. 3:15–17). Certainly the Father enjoys hearing His children say, “Thank You!” When Jesus healed ten lepers, only one of the ten returned to give thanks (Lk. 17:11–19), and we wonder if the percentage is any higher today. We are eager to ask, but slow to appreciate!

We must note “right praying” is not something every Christian can do immediately because “right praying” depends on the right kind of mind. This is why Paul’s formula for peace is found at the end of Philippians and not at the beginning. If we have the single mind of Philippians 1 then we can give adoration. (How can a double-minded person ever praise God?) If we have the submissive mind of Philippians 2, we can come with supplication. (Would a person with a proud mind ask God for something?) If we have the spiritual mind of Philippians 3, we can show our appreciation. (A worldly minded person would not know God had given him anything to appreciate!) In other words, we must practice Philippians 1, 2, and 3 if we are going to experience the secure mind of Philippians 4.

Paul counsels us to take “everything to God in prayer.” “Don’t worry about anything, but pray about everything!” is his admonition (4:6). We are prone to pray about the “big things” in life and forget to pray about the so-called “little things”—until they grow and become big things! Talking to God about everything that concerns us and Him is the first step toward victory over worry.

The result is the “peace of God” guards the heart and mind. Just as Paul was chained to a Roman soldier, guarded day and night, in like manner, “the peace of God” stands guard over the two areas that create worry—the heart (wrong feeling) and the mind (wrong thinking). When we give our hearts to Christ in salvation, we experience “peace with God” (Rom. 5:1); but the “peace of God” takes us a step farther into His blessings. This does not mean the absence of trials on the outside, but it does mean a quiet confidence within, regardless of circumstances, people, or things.

Daniel gives us a wonderful illustration of peace through prayer. When the king announced that none of his subjects were to pray to anyone except the king, Daniel went to his room, opened his windows, and prayed as before (Dan. 6:1–10). Notice how Daniel prayed. He “prayed, and gave thanks before his God” (v. 10) and he made supplication (Dan. 6:11). Prayer—supplication—thanksgiving! And the result was perfect peace in the midst of difficulty! Daniel was able to spend the night with the lions in perfect peace, while the king in his palace could not sleep (Dan. 6:18).

In Part 2, we will look at two more conditions God has laid down to conquer worry and experience the secure mind.

Advertisements

About Pastor Joe Quatrone, Jr.

Pastor Joe has been serving in Christian ministry for 19 years. He is the author of "Back to the Basics: A Guide for Christian Living." Through a commitment to servant leadership, he proclaims relevant Bible truth, equips the saints for effective ministry, and builds up the body of Christ. Married thirteen years, Pastor Joe and his wife live in New Jersey and have two children.
This entry was posted in Book of Philippians and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to You Don’t Have to Worry: Part 1 (Philippians 4:1–9)

1. Truth2Freedom says:

Reblogged this on Truth2Freedom's Blog.

2. Laurie Quagliariello says:

Praise our God

3. gailmanizak says:

This word is amazing and right on time for us here. Much to worry about it we want to, and this word reinforces all that we know about not worrying. Thank you for posting this Word just in time for us. Blessings Gail

4. Pingback: You Don’t Have to Worry! (Philippians 4:1–9) | The Power and Presence Ministry

5. When I first met Ron he use to say I would worry if I had nothing to worry about, so thank you Pastor Joe, now I can worry about you and your family, seriously though a very encouraging and uplifting message and packed with much Truth.

When we worry our mind races and we start thinking of all the bad things that could happen and than we start to believe they will and if we continue to worry we become convinced they will, your Godly advice puts a stop to worry before it starts, Thank you for a great focus.

Christian Love in our Unity in Christ Jesus – Anne.

6. When I first met Ron I wasn’t a Christian Pastor Joe so I had no Hope and yes I worried about everything big and small and at times I still worry, I’m not perfected yet but yes I’m aiming for it as God tells us to do and Paul encourages us to do.

My life is not easy but the difference now is I know I can go to Jesus and also ask my Christian friends to pray for me and that is my confidence, when Satan seeks to rob me of it, I remember…………

Isaiah 43:1-3 – Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.”

Jeremiah 29 :11-12 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Lamentations 3: 33 For God doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.

Christian Love Always – Anne

• Great verses, Anne! I did a post on Jeremiah 29:11. I think you may have read, but I can’t remember. I will leave a link for you: https://joequatronejr.com/2012/06/04/does-jeremiah-2911-apply-today. God bless!

• Thanks for the link Pastor Joe and yes I did indeed comment, much more than once in response to others, it is a very misunderstood reality that you shared about on that Post.

Amazingly I was praying about what to Post next and you confirmed the answer by sharing this Link but it’s a message that some will sadly reject like others that I have shared before with them but the Scriptures don’t lie regardless of what man or woman thinks.

God does not willingly afflict us and those who think He does will fear him in the flesh and not Trust Him, we as His redeemed Children never have to fear our Abba Father which the Scriptures confirm quiet a few times, all things good come from Him, He is Love and can do no evil, He hates it!

When we know the True Nature of God in our hearts, we never doubt His goodness towards us but yes until we come to heart repentance, just like the Prodigal son, He will discipline us by letting us reap the bad we sow and He will motivate others to chastise us or use life happenings to warn us, He knows every detail of our lives, past, present and future but when we come to our senses, Wow what a welcome home!

Thanks again Pastor Joe – Anne

7. Reblogged this on The Narrowing Path and commented:
    Thanks Pastor Joe for this wonderful encouragement from the Word of God!

8. jannatwrites says:

“and forget to pray about the so-called “little things”—until they grow and become big things!” – this is so true, and I’m guilty of this (often!)

9. Thank you for another great post!

10. Pingback: You Don’t Have to Worry: Part 2 (Philippians 4:1-9) | Pastor Joe Quatrone, Jr.

11. Pingback: You Don’t Have to Worry: Part 2 (Philippians 4:1-9) | A disciple's study

12. Thanks so much for stopping by and liking my blog. Philippians is one of my favorites and this was a great blog. Blessings

13. Joe JULIANO says:

As I face a surgery coming up next Tuesday and I’m wrapped in worry and fallen prey to the devil your email and your blog came through
    it’s not an unknown scripture to me I have repeated many many times.
    Oh Lord it’s so hard to be perfect and do what I need to do all the time.
    Thank you Joe for this post I’ll stop writing now and go pick up my Bible.